Jan 16, 2011

I am stalking snow...

Disclaimer: QQ is a gal who has lived all her life in sunny Singapore, hence her snow experience is only one brief encounter. And she was told Hamamatsu rarely snowed. The last time they had snow that didn't melt before it reach the ground was 10 years ago.

I have actually sort of given up hope on seeing snow in Hamamatsu, and planned to go to nearby Nagano to catch snow. But when all hope seemed avail, I started to see tweets and facebook updates by fellow JETters that they have sighted snow in Hamamatsu! Different areas of Hamamatsu, Tenryu, Sakuma, downtown Hamamatsu, etc. So excitedly, I decided to stalk snow for the night. It was 10pm last night.

And I waited by my full-length window, off the lights, so that I could catch the snowflakes in the darkness better. And waited... and grew impatient...

I lost my battle to the sandman eventually, and left for bed at 11pm. Yes, I merely waited an hour. Bah.

The next morning, I woke up at 8am plus, a first since winter came, as I was very curious of the weather this morning. Luckily I woke up early, there's some leftover snow in my neighbour's fields!



It soon melted in an hour or so under the morning's sun.


Snow left outside my house when I left my house to do some grocery-shopping.

After I stepped out of the supermarket, boy, was I ecstatic. It was snowing, briefly. Very light snowflakes, which melted before it touches ground. But still, it's snowflakes. :)



And so, I decided to try my luck at an onsen. For all you know, I may be able to fulfill my long-time dream of enjoying an outdoor onsen while it snows.

I went to 八扇の湯. And indeed, it snowed. A teeny weeny bit. The flakes melted before they reach the onsen surface. I did manage to catch a frozen dandelion seed though while I was enjoying the outdoor onsen pool. :D

So... this is the report of the first snow sighting in Japan since I came 5-6 months ago. :)

And it's kinda of amusing to read through my tweets for the past 12hours too.